GET TI TO THE UN!
June 27, 2007
Reposted with permission.
Yesterday I posted about the 4th Annual Youth Assembly at the United Nations in August, a global event that links young leaders with each other and with prominent people in social change, to learn about culture, leadership, and international issues, as well as work on UN resolutions and youth projects. Previous participants Girls and Boys Town program graduate Sharnise and National Society of High School Scholars member Daniel Sayani have written up reports on their past experiences, citing it as a positive, educational, and life-changing experience.
I have applied to be part of this year’s Youth Assembly, and I need help. To get the full experience of the Assembly, including the Leadership Seminar and the New York tour (amongst others), I need to sign up for a Travel Package. This package costs US$2300 (RM7952) and includes seminars, tours, accommodation, meals, inter-NY transport, as well as exclusive meetings and workshops. I also will get voting rights on UN resolutions to be presented by Secretary General Ban Ki-moon in October.
I’m fundraising for the package fees, and I’m including an extra challenge:
If I get at least US$2300 by the end of July, I will donate RM1000 (USD$289) to UNICEF Malaysia.
If I do not make it for any reason, I will donate what I get to UNICEF.
I will be blogging about my Assembly experiences at EducateDeviate during the trip. I am also considering setting up a Sponsor’s Thank You event to talk about my experiences and to allow UNICEF Malaysia to promote and fundraise for themselves. (This is subject to negotiation.)
You can support my journey in the following ways:
This button will lead you to my Pledgie page, where you can make a donation (named or anonymous). All donations will lead to my PayPal account, which I will use to pay the Travel Package fees. You don’t need a PayPal account to contribute; credit cards work fine. The RM1000 that’s going to UNICEF will come out of my own pocket. Any money I get above and beyond the US$2300 will go towards UNICEF.
Every dollar helps. Even if you can only spare $1, that’s fine. It all adds up, and either way, UNICEF gets money.
You can also sponsor me through providing the following:
- Plane tickets, preferably Brisbane – New York – Brisbane or similar – I’ll be in university at the time (Aug 8 – 18), and the Travel Package doesn’t include travel to and from New York. If you are from an airline or know someone from an airline that’s willing to help out, let me know!
- Airline miles – I’m an Enrich (Malaysia Airlines) member and have some miles, though not enough for a NY roundtrip.
- Digital camera – I don’t have one. On loan is fine; I’ll return it safe and sound.
- Business cards or MOO Cards – to distribute to networks during the Assembly. I’ve got some but not many!
- Souvenirs of Malaysia – to give away to people during the Assembly (here’s a great marketing opportunity!)
- Anything else that may be handy – I already have some things (like a laptop and a phone) but if you can suggest anything else, that’s fine.
If you are providing something in kind, please also consider contributing financially too.
For this to work, more people will need to know about it. PASS IT ON! Use the following links:
Feel free to email this to anyone and everyone you know, post it on blogs/forums/websites/etc, or write up about it in your press articles. I do kindly ask that you don’t spam anyone with this information: make sure it’s relevant to the place you’re posting it to.
What Do You Get?
By sponsoring me, you will:
- Be linked to in a special Thank-You post on EducateDeviate, with information about your services (if applicable)
- Have the opportunity for you and your products to be promoted to a global audience (if providing in-kind support)
- Be invited to a tentative Sponsor’s Thank-You event, where I will share my experiences and promote UNICEF
- Be associated with supporting youth, the United Nations, and global leadership initiatives
- Be mentioned in any article written about the experience, if possible
- Receive plenty of good karma
If you have any more ideas of what you’d like as a sponsor, comment here or let me know.
The Youth Assembly is less than two months away and I need to pay up very quickly to retain a seat. I stand by my pledge to support UNICEF no matter the outcome. Please support me in this challenge and support UNICEF too.
If you have any questions or comments, comment on this entry or contact me.
Thank you and have a great day!